Friday, October 7, 2011

Hardon: Three Elements Make Up a Well-Meditated Rosary

Then as, remember, the Holy Father tells us there are three elements that go to make up a well-meditated rosary. The first of these and you almost want to close your eyes when you hear it, the first says the Pope is mystical contemplation. Your Holiness, thanks for the compliment. Honest, I’m not even a budding Teresa of Avila. Thanks for the suggestion, Your Holiness. [ROFL!]  Can you tell me something more simple that will apply to me? Clearly the term, which the Pope uses, “mystical contemplation” needs to be explained.

My notes tell me to tell you we may be confused or turned off to be told that in saying each successive decade we are to practice quote, “mystical contemplation”, unquote. But there’s nothing here either for confusion or being turned off. You know what our problem is – our Mother language, English. I think I’ve spent most of my theological life telling my students the one language that is not Catholic is English. To use the plain Anglo-Saxon, “it ain’t Catholic.” The result is all kinds of meanings, connotations are brought up when we hear words like mystic and contemplation.

First: Mystical Contemplation
Second: Intimate Reflection
Three: Pious Intention
continue at Real Presence