Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Paul Ryan for President?!

Wisconsin congressman Paul Ryan is strongly considering a run for president. Ryan, who has been quietly meeting with political strategists to discuss a bid over the past three months, is on vacation in Colorado discussing a prospective run with his family. Ryan’s concerns about the effects of a presidential campaign – and perhaps a presidency – on his family have been his primary focus as he thinks through his political future.

“He’s coming around,” says a Republican source close to Ryan, who has been urging the 41-year-old to run.

“With Paul, it’s more about obligation than opportunity,” says another Wisconsin Republican. “He is determined to have the 2012 election be about the big things. If that means he has to run, he’s open to it.”

Ryan hinted at his thinking during a candid interview Friday with Charlie Sykes, an influential talk radio host in Milwaukee, telling Sykes that he was unsatisfied with the current crop of Republican candidates.

Sykes asked Ryan about state of the Republican presidential campaign. “Looking at the Republican field right now, are you confident that the candidates there are able to articulate the issues of the debt and the deficit and the need to reform entitlements in the way that you want to see done?”


Ryan laughed. “Why did you ask me that?”


“You know exactly why I asked you that question.”


“I know. We’ll see. I didn’t see it last night. I haven’t seen it to date. We’ll see. People’s campaigns evolve – they get better. So we’ll see.”
Weekly Standard 

How did I miss that on Sykes?

Since someone asked who's my GOP pick;   Honestly, I haven't had the time to look into it a great deal.  Years past I've always voted Ron Paul in the primaries, mainly to stick it to the Republican establishment.  Do I think neo-libertarian is the way to go?  No.  But do I think any other candidate would or could actually do the work that needs to be done like disbanding the NEA and *gasp* ending the "war"?  No.  It's more than Obama's agenda; the status quo must be challenged.  I'm happy to see some solid pro-life candidates, but the work needed in Washington is much greater than appointing maybe one Supreme Court Justice. 

Could Ryan entering the race change my mind....  Yes.   And not just because he's from Wisconsin.

HT ED