Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thoughts from Green Bay area Catholic on first Tradtional Mass experience

Today I attended the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite for the very first time. I'd wanted to go for a while, and never managed it. Luckily, however, the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest has an oratory site in Green Bay and celebrates both High and Low Masses every single Sunday. Mindy, Jason, and I went along, and I'm still processing, but I have some observations:

Having been interested in Latin Mass for some time, I've done my research, so I knew a bit what to expect and felt comfortable most of the time. I didn't have a missal with all the prayers, but I had my Handbook which contains the text of the Ordinary Form in both Latin and English as well as collects and Prefaces for each Sunday, so followed along as best I could. I didn't find it daunting to not know exactly what the priest and altar boys were saying. I knew the basics, and that was enough to foster an atmosphere of prayer.

I loved loved loved that the people there were really dressed in their Sunday Best. Many men wore suits. Most wore, at the very least, nice shirts and ties. Women were all in skirts and dresses of modest length (ie, knee-length or longer). Shoulders were covered. No tank tops, shorts, jeans, stiletto heels. Even little children were in "nicer" clothes.
continue at Hallelujah is Our Song